Title of Course
Certificate in English (Advanced Plus)
Coleman College offers Certificate in English courses in different levels for international learners who wish to acquire a good foundation in this international language.
The Certificate in English (Advanced Plus) course will equip learners with a good foundation in the English language which will enable them to build and enhance their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. The modules in this course are Advanced C1 and Academic Writing.
Learners will be able to grasp the intended key outcomes of each module. They will pick up grammar and commonly used words which help them in their communication skills. Through writing practices and discussions, learners will be able to communicate with appropriate grammatical structures while developing sufficient vocabulary base. Upon completion of all modules, learners will be able to produce reasonable explanations and arguments on abstract thoughts and topics.
At the end of this course, learners should achieve an IELTS equivalent banding of 6.0 and be able to :
- Understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
- Summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- Express himself/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of proficient meaning even in more complex situations.
- Research and critique academic texts and sources by analysing, evaluating, comparing, contrasting, summarising and presenting findings in academic requirement.
The course consists of 2 modules:
- Advanced C1
- Academic Writing
1. Advanced C1
This module prepares learners to use language effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Learners will start to acquire research skills and will be able to express ideas fluently on complex subjects.
At the end of the Advanced C1 module, learners should reach the C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Learners will be able to
- Understand wide range of demanding, longer texts and recognise implicit meaning.
- Express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- Acquire competency skillsets to achieve a banding of IELTS 6.0.
2. Academic Writing
In this module, learners strive for proficiency in language and academic writing skills required at the university or college level. Learners will write progressively longer academic essays based on critique of original research. They will refine their skills in presentation.
At the end of the Academic Writing module, the learners will be able to
- Appreciate the different types of academic essays.
- Develop paraphrasing, summarising and synthesising skills using APA or Harvard referencing to avoid plagiarism.
- Critique simple academic texts and sources by analysing, evaluating, comparing, contrasting and summarising.
- Understand critical terms used in literature relevant to various course of studies.
Scope of Study
- Group discussions
Commencement Dates / Intakes
Please click here to view intakes
The course duration is 6 months (full-time).
Maximum allowable period to complete the course is 12 months
Monday to Friday
- 3 hours per session, 3 sessions per week – Part-time
- 3 hours per session, 5 sessions per week – Full-time
To view course fees, please click here.
Click to view details on payment mode, please click here.
Click to view details on Fees Protection Scheme (FPS), please click here.
For further information or clarification, please call our Student Support Services Officer at +65 6336 0929.
Sample course assessment:
|Course Assessment Components||Marks Allocation|
Assessment Grading Criteria
‘Pass’ or ‘Fail’ grade. Passing mark is 50.
Expected Examination Results Release Date
Not more than 3 months from examination date
Certificate in English (Advanced Plus) awarded by Coleman College
Pass all required assessments
The Committee for Private Education (CPE) is duly notified of all the teachers in Coleman College. All teachers have the required qualifications. Please refer to “Our Teachers List” in the website for more details.
Maximum Teacher-Student Ratio is 1:40
Please note that the maximum number of students in the classroom is subjected to the maximum allowable seating capacity.
Graduates of this course at this proficiency may pursue their higher education, subject to the entry requirements set by the institution/university.
|Age:||At least 12 years old|
|English Proficiency:||TOEFL Paper score of 513 or TOEFL IBT score of 65 or IELTS score of 5.5 or equivalent (subject to internal placement test)|